Jump to Main Content
- Elsäßer, Björn; Fariñas-Franco, Jose M.; Wilson, Conor David; Kregting, Louise; Roberts, Dai
- Journal of sea research 2013 v.77 pp. 11-21
- mussels; Modiolus modiolus; reefs; tides; models; water waves; hydrodynamics; larvae; habitats; shellfish; adults; Northern Ireland; Irish Sea
- ... Selection of sites for successful restoration of impacted shellfish populations depends on understanding the dispersion capability and habitat requirements of the species involved. In Strangford Lough, Northern Ireland, the horse mussel (Modiolus modiolus) biogenic reefs cover only a fraction of their historical range with the remaining reefs badly damaged and requiring restoration. Previous exper ...
- Marohn, Lasse; Jakob, Eva; Hanel, Reinhold
- Journal of sea research 2013 v.77 pp. 100-106
- catadromous fish; eel; Anguillicoloides crassus; strontium; body length; anthropogenic activities; Anguilla anguilla; inland waters; otoliths; migratory behavior; freshwater; muscles; calcium; decline; larvae; coastal water; lipid content; swim bladder; spawning; latitude; habitats; Baltic Sea; North Sea
- ... European eel (Anguilla anguilla) recruitment is declining dramatically since the 1980s. Causes for this decline are explained by a combination of environmental changes basically affecting oceanic larval stages and a variety of anthropogenic impacts during the continental phase. Today, evidence is growing that poor silver eel quality has a major impact on reproductive success, implying that habitat ...