Jump to Main Content
- Rosenheim Jay A.
- Journal of economic entomology 2013 v.106 no.3 pp. 1286-1293
- Gossypium hirsutum; Lygus hesperus; abscission; buds; commercial farms; cotton; data collection; decision making; defoliants; farmers; farmers' attitudes; herbivores; observational studies; pest management; plant growth; plant growth substances
- ... Because the farmer is typically excluded from the experimental research setting, experimental research may face challenges in evaluating pest management tactics whose costs and benefits hinge on farmer decision-making. In these cases an ecoinformatics approach, in which observational data collected from the commercial farming setting are “mined” to quantify both biological variables and farmer beh ...
- W. Rodney Cooper; Dale W. Spurgeon
- Environmental entomology 2013 v.42 no.5 pp. 967-972
- cotton; buds; abscission; insect pests; bracts; spatial distribution; variance; greenhouse experimentation; instars; flowers; Gossypium; feeding behavior; nymphs; Lygus hesperus; plant damage; adults
- ... Despite numerous studies examining feeding injury to cotton (Gossypium spp.) caused by different stages of Lygus hesperus Knight, no consistent trends are apparent. One explanation for inconsistencies among previous results is failure to account for important sources of biological variation. Because it was only recently recognized that feeding behavior and injury differed among adults of different ...