Jump to Main Content
- Bestelmeyer, Brandon T., et al. Show all 5 Authors
- Ecology letters 2013 v.16 pp. 339
- arid lands; desertification; ecosystems; grasses; grasslands; grazing; grazing intensity; models; plant competition; shrubs; vegetation cover; Chihuahuan Desert
- ... Theoretical models predict that drylands can cross critical thresholds, but experimental manipulations to evaluate them are non-existent. We used a long-term (13-year) pulse-perturbation experiment featuring heavy grazing and shrub removal to determine if critical thresholds and their determinants can be demonstrated in Chihuahuan Desert grasslands. We asked if cover values or patch-size metrics c ...
- Bestelmeyer, Brandon T., et al. Show all 4 Authors
- Biodiversity and conservation 2013 v.22 no.4 pp. 921
- Dipodomys; Larrea tridentata; biodiversity; burrows; community structure; grasses; grasslands; habitat conservation; habitats; herbicides; keystone species; lizards; rodents; shrublands; shrubs; soil; Chihuahuan Desert; New Mexico
- ... Many grasslands in the Chihuahuan Desert have transformed to shrublands dominated by creosotebush (Larrea tridentata). Grassland restoration efforts have been directed at controlling creosotebush by applying herbicide over large spatial scales. However, we have a limited understanding of how landscape-scale restoration affects biodiversity. We examined whether restoration treatments in southern Ne ...