Jump to Main Content
- Wang, Xinglu; Xiang, Jianguo; Liu, Jiashou; Liu, Ming; Wu, Lang; Murphy, Brian R.; Xie, Songguang
- Environmental biology of fishes 2013 v.96 no.7 pp. 895-903
- Cyprinidae; body weight; egg weight; fauna; females; fish; fisheries; gonads; indigenous species; males; population dynamics
- ... Neosalanx taihuensis is an important zooplanktivorous commercial fish that has been widely introduced into Chinese freshwaters. Introduction of this species has induced decline and even extinction of native fish species in some waters. In this study, impacts of N. taihuensis introduction on growth and reproductive characteristics of an indigenous zooplanktivorous fish Hemiculter leucisculus were i ...
- Pyron, M.; Pitcher, T. E.; Jacquemin, S. J.
- Behavioral ecology and sociobiology 2013 v.67 no.5 pp. 747-756
- Cyprinidae; body size; dimorphism; females; fish; males; mating systems; models; phylogeny; spawning; sperm competition; testes
- ... Mating systems evolve with sexual size dimorphism (SSD) in many animals. Mating systems with males larger than females occur when males compete for female access or guard territories, while mating systems with group mating tend to occur in species where females are the same size or larger than males. In addition to variation in SSD with mating system, sperm competition varies among mating systems ...