Jump to Main Content
- Verburg, Peter H; Mertz, Ole; Erb, Karl-Heinz; Haberl, Helmut; Wu, Wenbin
- Current opinion in environmental sustainability 2013 v.5 pp. 494-502
- land tenure, etc ; food production; food security; governance; issues and policy; land use; production technology; Show all 7 Subjects
- ... Land system changes are central to the food security challenge. Land system science can contribute to sustainable solutions by an integrated analysis of land availability and the assessment of the tradeoffs associated with agricultural expansion and land use intensification. A land system perspective requires local studies of production systems to be contextualised in a regional and global context ...
- PubMed Central:
- Sayre, Nathan F.; McAllister, Ryan R. J.; Bestelmeyer, Brandon T.; Moritz, Mark; Turner, Matthew D.
- Frontiers in ecology and the environment 2013 v.11 no.7 pp. 348
- land tenure, etc ; climate change; commercialization; globalization; governance; land use change; livestock; livestock production; politics; ranchers; range management; rangelands; Show all 12 Subjects
- ... Rangelands encompass 30-40% of Earth's land surface and support 1-2 billion people. Their predominant use is extensive livestock production by pastoralists and ranchers. But rangelands are characterized by ecological, economic, and political marginality, and higher-value, more intensive land uses are impinging on rangelands around the world. Earth Stewardship of rangelands must address both livest ...