Jump to Main Content
- Kemp, William P., et al. Show all 4 Authors
- Journal of Economic Entomology 2013 v.106 no.3 pp. 1081
- Megachile rotundata; cold storage; crops; growing season; insect development; overwintering; pollinators; prices; shelf life; spring; survival rate; temperature; uncertainty
- ... The alfalfa leafcutting bee Megachile rotundata (F.) is the primary pollinator for alfalfa seed production. Under standard management conditions, the alfalfa leafcutting bee develops to the diapausing prepupal stage under field conditions, after which they are cold-stored at a static temperature until the following spring, when temperatures are raised and development resumes. We have assessed the ...
- Kemp, William P., et al. Show all 6 Authors
- Environmental entomology 2013 v.42 no.4 pp. 779
- Megachile rotundata; abdomen; aldehydes; chemical analysis; chemical composition; droplets; females; hydrocarbons; insect cuticle; lipids; marking behavior; nesting; nests; odor compounds; searching behavior; smell; solitary bees; wax esters
- ... In-nest observations of the solitary bee, Megachile rotundata (F.), revealed that nesting females apply olfactory cues to nests for nest recognition. On their way in and out of the nest, females drag the abdomen along the entire length of the nest, and sometimes deposit fluid droplets from the tip of the abdomen. The removal of bee-marked sections of the nest resulted in hesitation and searching b ...