Jump to Main Content
- Maldonado-Gómez, María X., et al. Show all 5 Authors
- Bioactive carbohydrates and dietary fibre 2013 v.2 no.1 pp. 8-14
- bacteria; butyrates; colon; dietary fiber; drugs; esterification; fermentation; in vitro digestion; inflammation; inflammatory bowel disease; intestinal microorganisms; inulin; polymers; short chain fatty acids
- ... Many carbohydrate polymers that have been used as carriers for colon-targeted drugs have shown benefits against colonic diseases. The objectives of this project were to (1) synthesize a derivative of 5-aminosalicylic acid (5-ASA), a drug used to treat inflammatory bowel disease, containing inulin, a carbohydrate polymer that has shown benefits against inflammatory bowel disease; (2) quantify the r ...
- Maldonado-Gómez, María X., et al. Show all 4 Authors
- Bioactive carbohydrates and dietary fibre 2013 v.1 no.1 pp. 81-88
- Bifidobacterium; acetic anhydride; acylation; colon; dietary fiber; digestion; fermentation; fructooligosaccharides; in vitro digestion; inulin; models; molecular weight; short chain fatty acids; travel
- ... The objective of this project was to develop a method for the synthesis of acetylated, propionylated, and butyrylated inulins as designer dietary fibers for enhanced gut health. High purity (HP) inulin was acylated with acetic anhydride, propionic anhydride, or butyric anhydride. Degrees of substitution [mol short chain fatty acid (SCFA)/mol fructosyl equivalents] were 0.313±0.013, 0.152±0.005, an ...