Jump to Main Content
- Skerlos, Steven J., et al. Show all 3 Authors
- Water research 2013 v.47 pp. 1655-1665
- biochemical oxygen demand; biogas; bioreactors; chemical oxygen demand; cold; compliance; control methods; fouling; genes; methane; microbial communities; microfiltration; ribosomal RNA; sequence analysis; solubility; temperature; wastewater; United States
- ... A bench-scale anaerobic membrane bioreactor (AnMBR) equipped with submerged flat-sheet microfiltration membranes was operated at psychrophilic temperature (15 °C) treating simulated and actual domestic wastewater (DWW). Chemical oxygen demand (COD) removal during simulated DWW operation averaged 92 ± 5% corresponding to an average permeate COD of 36 ± 21 mg/L. Dissolved methane in the permeate str ...
- Skerlos, Steven J., et al. Show all 4 Authors
- Environmental Science & Technology 2013 v.47 no.7 pp. 3258-3267
- Chlamydomonas reinhardtii; algae; bioenergy; biomass; bioprocessing; carbohydrates; carbon; feedstocks; lipids; microbial communities; microorganisms; models; nitrates; phosphates; photobioreactors; stoichiometry; wastewater; wastewater treatment
- ... Phototrophic microorganisms have significant potential as bioenergy feedstocks, but the sustainability of large-scale cultivation will require the use of wastewater as a renewable resource. A key barrier to this advancement is a lack of bioprocess understanding that would enable the design and implementation of efficient and resilient mixed community, naturally lit cultivation systems. In this stu ...