Jump to Main Content
- Steensma, K.M.M., et al. Show all 4 Authors
- Canadian journal of zoology 2013 v.91 no.10 pp. 679-688
- Odocoileus hemionus; adults; autumn; breeding; breeding season; deer; forage quality; males; migratory behavior; predators; spring; thermoregulation; winter
- ... Animals move to maximize fitness via resource acquisition, predator avoidance, thermoregulation, or mate access. Variations in movement strategies among and within populations often reflect habitat- or demographic-specific variations in fitness trade-offs. To examine these conditional movement strategies, we modeled seasonal and diel movement patterns of radio-collared adult male Columbia black-ta ...
- Steensma, K.M.M., et al. Show all 11 Authors
- Crop protection 2013 v.52 pp. 103-109
- Prunus avium; growers; apples; profitability; blueberries; wine grapes; surveys; market prices; profits and margins; fruit crops; fruit growing; Prunus cerasus; markets; birds; cherries; Michigan; Oregon; New York; California
- ... Fruit loss to birds is a long-standing and costly problem for many producers. We conducted a survey of Honeycrisp apple, blueberry, cherry, and wine grape growers in California, Michigan, New York, Oregon, and Washington to estimate costs of bird damage and benefits of bird damage management. We also assessed grower perceptions of impacts on profits and effectiveness of bird management techniques. ...