Jump to Main Content
- Vicient, Carlos M, et al. Show all 2 Author
- BMC plant biology 2013 v.13 no.1 pp. 186
- DNA damage; DNA topoisomerase; alkaloids; cell growth; corn; cultured cells; enzyme activity; mass spectrometry; nucleases; pH; single-stranded DNA; two-dimensional gel electrophoresis; zinc
- ... BACKGROUND: Camptothecin is a plant alkaloid that specifically binds topoisomerase I, inhibiting its activity and inducing double stranded breaks in DNA and activating the cell responses to DNA damage. RESULTS: Maize cultured cells were incubated in the presence of different concentrations of camptothecin. Camptothecin inhibits cultured cell growth, induces genomic DNA degradation, and induces a 3 ...
- PubMed Central:
- Vicient, Carlos M., et al. Show all 3 Authors
- Plant molecular biology 2013 v.81 no.6 pp. 541-551
- Zea; corn; evolution; gene expression; genes; nuclear localization signals; promoter regions; retrotransposons; terminal repeat sequences; transcription (genetics)
- ... LTR retrotransposons are major components of plant genomes playing important roles in the evolution of their host genomes, for example, generating new genes or providing new promoters to existing genes. The Grande family of retrotransposons is present in Zea species and is characterized by an unusually long internal region due to the presence of a 7-kbp region between the gag-pol coding region and ...
- Vicient, Carlos M., et al. Show all 4 Authors
- Plant science 2013 v.207 pp. 140-147
- Arabidopsis thaliana; auxins; corn; endosperm; enzymatic hydrolysis; epithelial cells; epithelium; genes; germination; peptide transporters; peptides; storage proteins
- ... In plants, peptide transporter/nitrate transporter 1 (PTR/NRT1) family proteins transport a variety of substrates such as nitrate, di- and tripepetides, auxin and carboxylates across membranes. We isolated and characterized ZmPTR1, a maize member of this family. ZmPTR1 protein sequence is highly homologous to the previously characterized di- and tripeptide Arabidopsis transporters AtPTR2, AtPTR4 a ...