Jump to Main Content
- Braczkowski, Alexander; Watson, Laurence; Coulson, Damien; Lucas, John; Peiser, Barry; Rossi, Monique
- South African journal of wildlife research 2012 v.42 no.2 pp. 111-116
- Caracal caracal, etc ; Tragelaphus; agricultural land; carnivores; coasts; conservation areas; diet; farmers; landscapes; livestock; rats; vegetation; wildlife; South Africa; Show all 14 Subjects
- ... Caracal (Caracal caracal) diet in southern Africa has primarily been quantified in protected areas dominated by natural vegetation. Here we present data on the diet of caracal ranging in two coastal landscapes (George and Vleesbaai, South Africa) with considerable anthropogenic modification (pine plantation and agricultural land). In terms of the corrected frequency of occurrence (CFO), rodents do ...
- Tordiffe, Adrian Stephen Wolferstan; van der Watt, George Frederick; Reyers, Fred
- Journal of zoo and wildlife medicine 2012 v.43 no.3 pp. 649-651
- Caracal caracal, etc ; alanine; animals; blood; creatinine; cystine; excretion; gas chromatography; lysine; males; mass spectrometry; ornithine; ultrasonics; urine; urolithiasis; zoos; South Africa; Show all 17 Subjects
- ... In July 2009, a 14-yr-old male caracal (Caracal caracal) at the National Zoological Gardens of South Africa was found, on abdominal ultrasound, to have a single large cystolith. The cystolith was removed, and the composition was determined to be 100% cystine. Blood and urine samples were also collected from three other apparently healthy caracals at the zoo and were submitted, together with the sa ...