Jump to Main Content
- Bebber, Daniel P.; Carine, Mark A.; Davidse, Gerrit; Harris, David J.; Haston, Elspeth M.; Penn, Malcolm G.; Cafferty, Steve; Wood, John R. I.; Scotland, Robert W.
- Proceedings 2012 v.279 no.1736 pp. 2269-2274
- Geographical Locations, etc ; biodiversity; collectors; extinction; flora; funding; inventories; type collections; Show all 8 Subjects
- ... Discovering biological diversity is a fundamental goal—made urgent by the alarmingly high rate of extinction. We have compiled information from more than 100 000 type specimens to quantify the role of collectors in the discovery of plant diversity. Our results show that more than half of all type specimens were collected by less than 2 per cent of collectors. This highly skewed pattern has persist ...
- PubMed Central:
- Culman, Steven W.; Snapp, Sieglinde S.; Freeman, Mark A.; Schipanski, Meagan E.; Beniston, Josh; Lal, Rattan; Drinkwater, Laurie E.; Franzluebbers, Alan J.; Glover, Jerry D.; Grandy, A. Stuart; Lee, Juhwan; Six, Johan; Maul, Jude E.; Mirksy, Steven B.; Spargo, John T.; Wander, Michelle M.
- Soil Science Society of America journal 2012 v.76 no.2 pp. 494
- Geographical Locations, etc ; carbon; ecosystems; environmental management; microbial biomass; new methods; permanganates; soil organic carbon; soil types; Show all 9 Subjects
- ... Permanganate oxidizable C (POXC; i.e., active C) is a relatively new method that can quantify labile soil C rapidly and inexpensively. Despite limited reports of positive correlations with particulate organic C (POC), microbial biomass C (MBC), and other soil C fractions, little is known about what soil fractions POXC most closely reflects. We measured POXC across a wide range of soil types, ecosy ...