Jump to Main Content
- Miller, Kristina M., et al. Show all 4 Authors
- Proceedings 2012 v.279 no.1727 pp. 379-386
- Salmo salar; adults; disease resistance; genetic variation; loci; major histocompatibility complex; mating behavior; microsatellite repeats; natural selection; progeny; temporal variation; vertebrates; viability; Canada
- ... Major histocompatibility complex (MHC)-dependent mating preferences have been observed across vertebrate taxa and these preferences are expected to promote offspring disease resistance and ultimately, viability. However, little empirical evidence linking MHC-dependent mate choice and fitness is available, particularly in wild populations. Here, we explore the adaptive potential of previously obser ...
- PubMed Central:
- Miller, Kristina M., et al. Show all 5 Authors
- Aquatic toxicology 2012 v.124-125 pp. 217-226
- DNA damage; Oncorhynchus mykiss; Vibrio anguillarum; aquatic habitat; atrazine; cell cycle; cortisol; disease resistance; endocrine-disrupting chemicals; estrogenic properties; ethanol; gene expression; gene expression regulation; genes; homeostasis; liver; lymphocytes; metabolism; microarray technology; monocytes; mortality; oxygen; pollutants; risk; toxicity; transcriptome; vitellogenin; wild fish
- ... Atrazine (ATZ) and nonylphenol (NP) are commonly identified contaminants in aquatic habitats; however, few studies have considered the impact of these endocrine disrupters on immune function and resistance to disease. This study examined the immunotoxicological effects of ATZ and NP at multiple levels of biological organization. Juvenile rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) were exposed to a solven ...
- Miller, Kristina M., et al. Show all 9 Authors
- Canadian journal of fisheries and aquatic sciences 2012 v.69 no.2 pp. 330-342
- Oncorhynchus nerka; adults; cortisol; females; freshwater; males; models; mortality; pathogens; radio frequency identification; rivers; spawning; water temperature
- ... Recent studies have shown that warm temperatures reduce survival of adult migrating sockeye salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka), but knowledge gaps exist on where high-temperature-related mortality occurs along the migration and whether females and males are differentially impacted by river temperature. In this study, we monitored 437 radio-tagged Fraser River sockeye salmon and used capture–mark–recaptur ...