Jump to Main Content
- Muir, D.C.G., et al. Show all 13 Authors
- Environment international 2012 v.45 pp. 15-21
- Ursus maritimus; adipose tissue; animals; cortisol; persistent organic pollutants; Greenland
- ... Hair sampled from 96 East Greenland polar bears (Ursus maritimus) over the periods 1892–1927 and 1988–2009 was analyzed for cortisol as a proxy to investigate temporal patterns of environmental stress. Cortisol concentration was independent of sex and age, and was found at significantly higher (p<0.001) concentrations in historical hair samples (1892–1927; n=8) relative to recent ones (1988–2009; ...
- PubMed Central:
- Muir, D.C.G., et al. Show all 11 Authors
- Environmental research 2012 v.116 pp. 26-35
- DDD (pesticide); HCH (pesticide); Ursus maritimus; blood; cortisol; dieldrin; females; heptachlor epoxide; males; statistical models; thyroid hormones; Greenland
- ... The multivariate relationship between hair cortisol, whole blood thyroid hormones, and the complex mixtures of organohalogen contaminant (OHC) levels measured in subcutaneous adipose of 23 East Greenland polar bears (eight males and 15 females, all sampled between the years 1999 and 2001) was analyzed using projection to latent structure (PLS) regression modeling. In the resulting PLS model, most ...