Jump to Main Content
- Townsend, Richard L., et al. Show all 13 Authors
- North American journal of fisheries management 2012 v.32 no.2 pp. 249-261
- Oncorhynchus tshawytscha; acclimation; acoustics; fish; juveniles; mortality; prediction; radio; telemetry; transponders; water power
- ... Each year, telemetry tags (acoustic, radio, and passive integrated transponder tags) are surgically implanted into thousands of fish to assess their passage and survival through hydropower facilities. One passage route that is of particular concern is through hydroturbines, where fish may be exposed to a range of potential injuries that include barotraumas from rapid decompression. The change in p ...
- Townsend, Richard L., et al. Show all 12 Authors
- Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 2012 v.141 no.1 pp. 147-157
- Oncorhynchus tshawytscha; acclimation; condition factor; equations; fish; fisheries; juveniles; models; mortality; power generation; probability; rivers; turbines; water power
- ... A proportion of juvenile Chinook salmon Oncorhynchus tshawytscha and other salmonids travel through one or more turbines during their seaward migration in the Columbia and Snake rivers. There is limited information on how these fish respond to the hydraulic pressures found during turbine passage events. We exposed juvenile Chinook salmon to varied acclimation pressures and subsequent exposure pres ...