Jump to Main Content
- Abreu, Ilka N.; Choi, Young H.; Sawaya, Alexandra C.H F.; Eberlin, Marcos N.; Mazzafera, Paulo; Verpoorte, Robert
- Planta medica 2011 v.77 no.3 pp. 293-300
- pilocarpine, etc ; Pilocarpus; biosynthesis; electrospray ionization mass spectrometry; glaucoma; ions; mature plants; metabolomics; nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy; Show all 9 Subjects
- ... Pilocarpine is an imidazole alkaloid that has been used for more than a century in glaucoma treatment. It is present in several species of the Pilocarpus genus (jaborandi), with its highest concentrations in P. microphyllus. In addition to pilocarpine, pilosine - an imidazole alkaloid without pharmacological use - is produced in high concentrations in mature plants. A metabolomic study was carried ...
- Sawaya, Alexandra Christine Helena Frankland; Vaz, Boniek Gontijo; Eberlin, Marcos Nogueira; Mazzafera, Paulo
- Genetic resources and crop evolution 2011 v.58 no.3 pp. 471-480
- pilocarpine, etc ; Pilocarpus; glaucoma; leaves; planting; screening; sweat; Brazil; Show all 8 Subjects
- ... Plants of the Pilocarpus genus (Rutaceae) are popularly known as jaborandi and are the only source of pilocarpine, an imidazole alkaloid used in eye-drops for the treatment of glaucoma as well as for the stimulation of sweat and lachrymal glands. Alkaloid extracts from leaf samples of seven species of Pilocarpus, from the states of São Paulo and Maranhão in Brazil, were analyzed using HPLC-ESI-MS/ ...