Jump to Main Content
- Dodson, Erich K.; Peterson, David W.; Harrod, Richy J.
- International journal of wildland fire 2010 v.19 no.4 pp. 490-499
- invasive species; fertilizer application; afforestation; soil stabilization; botanical composition; erosion control; planting; forest fires; water erosion; vegetation; understory
- ... Slope stabilisation treatments like mulching and seeding are used to increase soil cover and reduce runoff and erosion following severe wildfires, but may also retard native vegetation recovery. We evaluated the effects of seeding and fertilisation on the cover and richness of native and exotic plants and on individual plant species following the 2004 Pot Peak wildfire in Washington State, USA. We ...
- du Toit, Ben; Smith, Colin W.; Little, Keith M.; Boreham, Grant; Pallett, Robert N.
- Forest ecology and management 2010 v.259 no.9 pp. 1836-1845
- silvicultural practices; site preparation; forest plantations; forest growth; stand management; slash; weed control; fertilizer application; tree nutrition; forest stands; afforestation; soil texture; soil compaction; nutrient management; plant competition; climatic factors; genetic improvement; tree breeding; hardwood; South Africa
- ... An important window of opportunity to increase and sustain productivity in short-rotation plantations is the period from felling through re-establishment to canopy closure. This paper explores the effects, interactions and response mechanisms of intensive silvicultural practices on plantation productivity and sustainability, using five South African case studies (a-e). (a) Land preparation trials ...