Jump to Main Content
- Au, Robert; Tardif, Jacques C.
- Canadian journal of forest research = 2009 v.39 no.9 pp. 1777–1784
- cellulose; Thuja occidentalis; forest trees; growth rings; dendrochronology; pretreatment; lignin; hemicellulose; stable isotopes; wood; wood chemistry; conifers; chemical treatment; extraction
- ... Whether or not extractives, lignin, and (or) hemicelluloses, all of which have specific isotopic signatures, should be removed prior to dendroisotopic analysis is still debated. This study reports the range of modern tree-ring δ13C values of cellulose from Thuja occidentalis L., a species that has been under-utilized in dendroisotopic research despite its broad distribution and great longevity in ...
- Hoffer, Melissa; Tardif, Jacques C.
- Canadian journal of forest research 2009 v.39 no.9 pp. 1722–1736
- forest trees; growth rings; climatic factors; drought; dry environmental conditions; summer; wood defects; Pinus banksiana; Picea mariana; plant stress; abiotic stress; conifers; softwood; dendrochronology; Canada
- ... False rings (FRs) are a tree-ring anomaly that can be used to better understand tree growth and potentially reconstruct past climatic events. The main objective of this study was to explore the association between FRs and climate, especially drought occurrence. Sampling was conducted in Nopiming Provincial Park. Wood cores were extracted from jack pine (Pinus banksiana Lamb.) in five stands and fr ...