Jump to Main Content
- Milchunas, Daniel G.
- Ecosystems 2009 v.12 no.8 pp. 1381-1402
- carbon; doughnuts; isotopes; new methods; nitrogen; regression analysis; roots
- ... Estimating root production has been difficult due to multiple potential biases associated with both old and new methods. This shortgrass steppe site is the only place we are aware of that can compare most methods including sequential coring, ingrowth cores, and ingrowth donuts, ¹⁴C pulse-isotope dilution, ¹⁴C pulse-isotope turnover, rhizotron windows, and minirhizotron, and indirect methods includ ...
- Milchunas, Daniel G., et al. Show all 2 Author
- Rangeland ecology & management 2009 v.62 no.1 pp. 89
- steppes; prairies; prescribed burning; vegetation; botanical composition; forage; wildlife management; weed control; winter; grazing; grazing intensity; precipitation; drought; Gutierrezia sarothrae; Opuntia; weeds; nitrogen content; nutritive value; Opuntia polyacantha; Colorado
- ... Over the past century, fire has been widely suppressed in the western Great Plains, in part because of the potential negative effects on forage production for livestock. More recently, interest in the use of prescribed fire in shortgrass steppe has increased because of the potential applications for wildlife management, control of unpalatable plant species, and restoration of historic disturbance ...