Jump to Main Content
- Puijalon, Sara; Bouma, Tjeerd J.; Van Groenendael, Jan; Bornette, Gudrun
- Annals of botany 2008 v.102 no.6 pp. 989-996
- Mentha aquatica; Potamogeton; aquatic plants; biomass; canopy; clonal variation; clones; mechanical stress; plant stress; stemflow; stems; water currents
- ... BACKGROUND AND AIMS: The plastic alterations of clonal architecture are likely to have functional consequences, as they affect the spatial distribution of ramets over patchy environments. However, little is known about the effect of mechanical stresses on the clonal growth. The aim of the present study was to investigate the clonal plasticity induced by mechanical stress consisting of continuous w ...
- PubMed Central:
- Engeman, R.M.; Duquesnel, J.A.; Cowan, E.M.; Smith, H.T.; Shwiff, S.A.; Karlin, M.
- Journal of coastal research 2008 v.24 no.2 pp. 527-532
- habitat destruction; estimation; bioeconomic models; contingent valuation; habitat conservation; cost benefit analysis; anthropogenic activities; ecological restoration; aquatic habitat; boats; aquatic plants; Florida
- ... Seagrass bed habitat is an important biotic community in decline worldwide. Boat damage has long been recognized for its negative impacts on shallow-water seagrass beds, with those along the Florida coast particularly vulnerable in the face of a large human population possessing a large number of boats. Boat scars to seagrass beds recover slowly, resulting in new damage that often outpaces recover ...