Jump to Main Content
- Brickner, A.E., et al. Show all 7 Authors
- Journal of dairy science 2008 v.91 no.7 pp. 2595-2603
- dairy cattle; dry period; milk yield; animal health; milk composition; milk quality; cow colostrum; disease incidence; metabolic diseases; diet; calving; postpartum period; lactation number; milk fat percentage; milk protein percentage; immunoglobulin G; somatic cell count; bovine mastitis; free fatty acids; energy balance
- ... Holstein cows (n = 781) in a commercial dairy herd were used in a randomized design to evaluate 2 dry period (DP) management strategies on milk production, milk components, milk quality, colostrum quality, and incidence of metabolic disorders. Cows were randomly assigned to a traditional 55 d (T) or shortened 34 d (S) DP. Cows assigned to T were fed a low-energy diet until 34 d before expected cal ...
- Brickner, A.E., et al. Show all 6 Authors
- Journal of dairy science 2008 v.91 no.4 pp. 1378-1390
- abomasum; linseed oil; glucose; insulin; Holstein; dairy cows; cow feeding; free fatty acids; tallow; omega-3 fatty acids; lipemic effect; nutrition physiology; nutrition research; ruminant nutrition
- ... The objective was to study the effects of abomasal infusion of linseed oil, a source rich in n-3 C18:3, on whole-body response to insulin (experiment 1) and on insulin antilipolytic effects during feed restriction (experiment 2). In experiment 1, eight nonlactating, non-gestating cows were assigned to a crossover design, fed to meet maintenance requirements, and infused abomasally with either lins ...