Jump to Main Content
- Sackett, T.E.; Buddle, C.M.; Vincent, C.
- Journal of economic entomology 2005 v.98 no.5 pp. 1648-1653
- Choristoneura rosaceana; leafrollers; larvae; kaolin; particle films; dietary exposure; leaves; artificial diets; insect development; insect growth; mortality; dispersal behavior; insect control
- ... The mechanisms by which kaolin, a clay particle film formulation, affects the fitness and behavior of larvae of obliquebanded leafroller, Choristoneura rosaceana (Harris), were investigated. Feeding experiments tested kaolin as a physical barrier versus a physiological toxin for larvae that consumed kaolin applied either to apple (Malus spp.) leaves or mixed in artificial diet. Behavioral experime ...
- Peck, G.W.; Walton, W.E.
- Environmental entomology 2005 v.34 no.4 pp. 767-774
- insect nutrition; insect growth; nutrient content; Culex quinquefasciatus; aquatic habitat; nutritional adequacy; food availability; Culex tarsalis; larvae; insect development; mortality
- ... We examined how mosquito life history parameters and whole body carbon (C), nitrogen (N), and phosphorus (P) content responded to changing C, N, and P content in food. The southern house mosquito, Culex quinquefasciatus Say, and the western encephalitis mosquito, Cx. tarsalis Coquillett, were reared in containers with diary waste water (high food and C, N, and P concentrations) or effluent from a ...
- Medina, Raul F.; Barbosa, Pedro; Waddell, Kim
- Entomologia experimentalis et applicata 2005 v.115 no.1 pp. 193-197
- Orgyia leucostigma; larvae; food plants; Salix nigra; Acer negundo; insect development; insect growth; mortality; parasitism; parasitoids; natural enemies; host-parasite relationships; tritrophic interactions
- ... The slow‐growth‐high‐mortality hypothesis proposes that increased development time in arthropods feeding on suboptimal food may result in an increased vulnerability to natural enemies. We measured the development time of the forest caterpillar Orgyia leucostigma J.E. Smith (Lepidoptera: Lymantriidae: Orgyiini) on two of its host plants and used a 7‐year database on parasitism of this species to te ...