Jump to Main Content
- Roelofs, W.L., et al. Show all 5 Authors
- Science 2005 v.307 no.5712 pp. 1104-1106
- Blattella germanica; sex pheromones; quinones; chemical structure; nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy; insect attractants; insect behavior; males; pheromone traps; insect control
- ... The sex pheromone of the German cockroach, Blattella germanica, has been characterized as gentisyl quinone isovalerate. This cockroach is a major cause of allergic disease and serves as a mechanical vector of pathogens, making it one of the most important residential and food-associated pests worldwide. The sex pheromone-producing gland in adult females was identified in 1993, but thermal instabil ...
- Roelofs, W.L., et al. Show all 6 Authors
- Entomologia experimentalis et applicata 2005 v.116 no.1 pp. 55-64
- Cornus florida; Rhagoletis pomonella; volatile compounds; host seeking; host range; host plants; bioassays; Malus domestica; odors; Crataegus mollis
- ... Rhagoletis pomonella Walsh (Diptera: Tephritidae) originating from domesticated apple (Malus pumila), hawthorn (Crataegus mollis) (Rosaceae), and flowering dogwood (Cornus florida) (Cornaceae) were tested sequentially in flight-tunnel assays to volatile blends previously identified from the three fruit types. The majority of flies flew to odor sources containing their natal blend (68-83%). Some fl ...