Jump to Main Content
- Chen, Wei; Ren, Xiu-Rong; Nelson, Christopher D.; Barak, Larry S.; Chen, James K.; Beachy, Philip A.; de Sauvage, Frederic; Lefkowitz, Robert J.
- Science 2004 v.306 no.5705 pp. 2257-2260
- G-protein coupled receptors; agonists; antagonists; cell membranes; cyclopamine; endocytosis; green fluorescent protein; mammals; phosphorylation
- ... Binding of Sonic Hedgehog (Shh) to Patched (Ptc) relieves the latter's tonic inhibition of Smoothened (Smo), a receptor that spans the cell membrane seven times. This initiates signaling which, by unknown mechanisms, regulates vertebrate developmental processes. We find that two molecules interact with mammalian Smo in an activation-dependent manner: G protein-coupled receptor kinase 2 (GRK2) lead ...
- P. Saransaari; S. S. Oja
- Amino acids 2004 v.26 no.1 pp. 91-98
- adenosine; adults; agonists; antagonists; cell membranes; glutamic acid; hippocampus; hydrogen peroxide; hydroxylamine; ischemia; mice; neuroprotective effect; nitric oxide; receptors; taurine; transporters; tritium
- ... The release of the inhibitory neuromodulator taurine in the hippocampus is markedly enhanced under various neural cell-damaging conditions, including ischemia and exposure to free radicals. The properties and regulation of the release evoked by a medium containing free radicals was investigated in hippocampal slices from adult (3-month-old) and developing (7-day-old) mice, using a superfusion syst ...