Jump to Main Content
- McGraw, Kevin J.; Gregory, Alexander J.
- Biological journal of the Linnean Society 2004 v.83 no.2 pp. 273-280
- biologists, etc ; Carduelis; blood; color; diet; feathers; lutein; males; molting; seasonal variation; wild birds; zeaxanthin; Show all 12 Subjects
- ... Studies of brilliant carotenoid-based coloration in birds have traditionally centred on the role that these colours play in attracting mates. More recently, biologists have begun to take a biochemical approach to understanding the types of pigments found in feathers and how these relate to the expression of ornamental coloration. Nevertheless, surprisingly few studies have assessed the types and a ...
- Li, Rui; Brawley, S. H.
- Marine biology 2004 v.144 no.2 pp. 205-213
- biologists, etc ; Fucus spiralis; Fucus vesiculosus; acclimation; heat shock proteins; heat stress; heat tolerance; littoral zone; osmolality; seawater; stress response; temperature; thallus; Maine; Show all 14 Subjects
- ... Intertidal organisms exposed to thermal stress normally experience other stresses simultaneously, but how these combined stresses modify tolerance to heat, especially for embryos, is poorly understood. Tolerance of fucoid algal embryos to heat, with and without acclimation to a sublethal temperature and with simultaneous exposure to hypersaline media, was examined. Embryos of Fucus vesiculosus L. ...