Jump to Main Content
- Yu, Q.B.; Yang, D.Q.; Zhang, S.Y.; Beaulieu, J.; Duchesne, I.
- Canadian journal of forest research = 2003 v.33 no.11 pp. 2177-2183
- decay resistance, etc ; Picea abies; forest trees; wood density; tree growth; genetic variation; heartwood; decay fungi; Gloeophyllum trabeum; Coriolus versicolor; Fomitopsis pinicola; heritability; phenotypic correlation; genetic correlation; Show all 14 Subjects
- ... This study investigated the genetic variation of white spruce (Picea glauca (Moench) Voss) in decay resistance and its correlation with wood density and growth. Three fungi were examined, a brown-rot fungus (Gloeophyllum trabeum), a white-rot fungus (Trametes versicolor), and a standing-tree-decay fungus (Fomitopsis pinicola). The decay resistance was inversely related to the growth rate of the fu ...
- Jagels, R.; Visscher, G.E.; Lucas, J.; Goodell, B.
- Annals of botany 2003 v.92 no.1 pp. 79-88
- decay resistance, etc ; boreal forests; temperate forests; plant adaptation; wood physical properties; climatic zones; tensile strength; Quercus; tracheids; wet environmental conditions; decay fungi; plant-water relations; conifers; paleobotany; forest trees; tropical forests; Metasequoia glyptostroboides; water content; heartwood; tree growth; evolutionarily stable strategy; durability; latitude; mechanical stress; wood strength; China; New Jersey; Show all 27 Subjects
- ... The xylem of Metasequoia glyptostroboides Hu et Cheng is characterized by very low density (average specific gravity = 0.27) and tracheids with relatively large dimensions (length and diameter). The microfibril angle in the S2 layer of tracheid walls is large, even in outer rings, suggesting a cambial response to compressive rather than tensile stresses. In some cases, this compressive stress is c ...
- PubMed Central:
- Gierlinger, N.; Jacques, D.; Schwanninger, M.; Wimmer, R.; Hinterstoisser, B.; Paques, L.E.
- Canadian journal of forest research 2003 v.33 no.9 pp. 1727-1736
- decay resistance, etc ; Larix decidua; decayed wood; least squares; durability; Larix kaempferi; decay fungi; Rhodonia placenta; Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy; provenance; heartwood; Coniophora puteana; Germany; France; Belgium; Show all 15 Subjects
- ... The feasibility of Fourier transform near-infrared (FT-NIR) spectroscopy for rapidly determining the natural durability of the heartwood of larch trees (Larix decidua Mill. and Larix kaempferi (Lamb.) Carriere) was investigated. FT-NIR spectra were collected from solid wood with a fibre-optical probe. Basidiomycetes tests using Coniophora puteana and Poria placenta were carried out on larch heartw ...