Jump to Main Content
- Mackensen, J.; Bauhus, J.; Webber, E.
- Australian journal of botany 2003 v.51 no.1 pp. 27-37
- decay resistance, etc ; Eucalyptus regnans; Isoptera; climate change; coarse woody debris; decayed wood; durability; forest ecosystems; forest litter; forest management; forests; greenhouses; indigenous species; land use change; latitude; long term experiments; temperature; trees; wood density; wood logs; woodlands; Show all 21 Subjects
- ... We reviewed the decay patterns and lifetimes (time to reach 95% mass loss) of coarse woody debris (CWD) on the forest floor. The objectives were to identify the factors influencing the decomposition process of CWD and to provide estimates of lifetimes for CWD from Australian tree species. This information is required for greenhouse accounting of forestry activities and land use change as well as t ...
- Jagels, R.; Visscher, G.E.; Lucas, J.; Goodell, B.
- Annals of botany 2003 v.92 no.1 pp. 79-88
- decay resistance, etc ; boreal forests; temperate forests; plant adaptation; wood physical properties; climatic zones; tensile strength; Quercus; tracheids; wet environmental conditions; decay fungi; plant-water relations; conifers; paleobotany; forest trees; tropical forests; Metasequoia glyptostroboides; water content; heartwood; tree growth; evolutionarily stable strategy; durability; latitude; mechanical stress; wood strength; China; New Jersey; Show all 27 Subjects
- ... The xylem of Metasequoia glyptostroboides Hu et Cheng is characterized by very low density (average specific gravity = 0.27) and tracheids with relatively large dimensions (length and diameter). The microfibril angle in the S2 layer of tracheid walls is large, even in outer rings, suggesting a cambial response to compressive rather than tensile stresses. In some cases, this compressive stress is c ...
- PubMed Central:
- Gierlinger, N.; Jacques, D.; Schwanninger, M.; Wimmer, R.; Hinterstoisser, B.; Paques, L.E.
- Canadian journal of forest research 2003 v.33 no.9 pp. 1727-1736
- decay resistance, etc ; Larix decidua; decayed wood; least squares; durability; Larix kaempferi; decay fungi; Rhodonia placenta; Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy; provenance; heartwood; Coniophora puteana; Germany; France; Belgium; Show all 15 Subjects
- ... The feasibility of Fourier transform near-infrared (FT-NIR) spectroscopy for rapidly determining the natural durability of the heartwood of larch trees (Larix decidua Mill. and Larix kaempferi (Lamb.) Carriere) was investigated. FT-NIR spectra were collected from solid wood with a fibre-optical probe. Basidiomycetes tests using Coniophora puteana and Poria placenta were carried out on larch heartw ...