Jump to Main Content
- Santelices, B.; Correa, J. A.; Hormazábal, M.; Flores, V.
- Marine biology 2003 v.143 no.2 pp. 381-392
- Rhodophyta, etc ; cell fusion; cell walls; fungi; germination; interphase; invertebrates; laboratory experimentation; macroalgae; phylogeny; spores; Show all 11 Subjects
- ... Coalescence is a well documented event in many red algal orders. However, it is as yet unknown if genetic compatibility and phylogenetic relationships could be factors limiting coalescence. Using controlled laboratory experiments complemented with cytological and ultrastructural analysis, in this study we test whether or not coalescence may occur between different seaweed species and between karyo ...
- Harley, Christopher D. G.
- Ecology 2003 v.84 no.6 pp. 1477-1488
- Rhodophyta, etc ; abiotic stress; algae; environmental factors; herbivores; littoral zone; models; Washington (state); Show all 8 Subjects
- ... Range boundaries are a fundamental expression of a species' relationship with other species and with the abiotic environment. In this study, I examined the roles of biotic and abiotic factors in setting the local range limits of Mazzaella parksii (formerly Mazzaella cornucopiae). In Washington State, this turf‐forming red alga occurs almost exclusively in a discrete high intertidal band on north‐f ...