Jump to Main Content
- Finley, John W.; Davis, Cindy D.; Feng, Yi
- Journal of nutrition 2000 v.130 no.9 pp. 2384
- rats, etc ; dietary minerals; selenium; dietary nutrient sources; broccoli; anticarcinogenic activity; fortified foods; colorectal neoplasms; seleno amino acids; animal disease models; chemoprevention; nutritional intervention; Show all 12 Subjects
- ... Colon cancer is the third most common newly diagnosed cancer in the United States and the third most common cause of cancer-related deaths. Previous supplementation studies have demonstrated the efficacy of selenium (Se) for prevention of colon cancer in humans. The metabolism of Se depends on its chemical form, and studies have shown that the chemical form of Se in broccoli does not accumulate in ...
- Angus, C.W.; Klivington-Evans, Diane; Dubey, J.P.; Kovacs, Joseph A.
- Journal of infectious diseases 2000 v.181 no.1 pp. 317
- rats, etc ; toxoplasmosis; antigens; immunization; disease prevention; Toxoplasma gondii; plasmids; complementary DNA; recombinant vaccines; animal disease models; mice; immune response; CD4-positive T-lymphocytes; cell-mediated immunity; humoral immunity; Show all 15 Subjects
- ... Immunization with DNA can induce humoral and cell-mediated immune responses, both of which are important in conferring immunity to Toxoplasma gondii. The efficacy of genetic vaccination with a cDNA encoding the T. gondii SAG1 (P30) surface antigen was evaluated. Sera of immunized mice showed recognition of T. gondii tachyzoites by immunofluorescence and exhibited high titers of antibody to SAG1 by ...
- Dombrink-Kurtzman, M.A.; Gomez-Flores, R.; Weber, R.J.
- Immunopharmacology 2000 v.49 no.3 pp. 401
- rats, etc ; mycotoxicosis; immune response; macrophage activation; spleen; T-lymphocytes; cell proliferation; animal disease models; Gibberella fujikuroi; Fusarium proliferatum; animal pathogenic fungi; fumonisin B1; mycotoxins; food contamination; feed contamination; dose response; interferons; nitric oxide; signal transduction; interleukin-2; human health; animal health; interferon-gamma; Show all 23 Subjects
- ... Fumonisins represent a family of toxic, structurally related metabolites produced by fungi that are found in corn worldwide. We investigated the effects of the mycotoxin, fumonisin B1, on rat splenic macrophage and lymphocyte functions. Pretreatment (24 h) of resident macrophages with fumonisin B1 (1, 10, and 100 μg/ml) significantly (p<0.01) stimulated nitric oxide production (0.48, 2.60, and 4.4 ...