Jump to Main Content
- Klevay, L.M.; Christopherson, D.M.
- Journal of trace elements in medicine and biology 2000 v.14 no.3 pp. 143
- rats, etc ; prasterone; copper; deficiency diseases; blood serum; dietary supplements; dietary minerals; Show all 7 Subjects
- ... DHEA (dehydroepiandrosterone) is a hormone often taken as a dietary supplement to prevent the normal decline with age and in the hope of preventing heart attacks. Rats in two experiments were made deficient in copper by standard methods and criteria. Copper deficiency decreased DHEA in serum by approximately 50%. People who associate higher serum concentrations of DHEA with health probably should ...
- Johnson, W. Thomas; Prohaska, Joseph R.
- Biofactors 2000 v.11 no.3 pp. 163–169
- rats, etc ; copper; pregnancy; maternal nutrition; protein kinase C; protein content; cerebellum; gender differences; males; females; Show all 10 Subjects
- ... Change in cerebellar protein kinase C gamma (PKC(γ)) content caused by perinatal copper (Cu) deficiency was determined in 22-day old rats. The offspring of dams with low Cu intake during gestation and lactation exhibited signs characteristic of Cu deficiency including anemia, greater than 90% reduction in liver Cu concentration, and undetectable serum ceruloplasmin. In addition, brain Cu concentra ...
- Schuschke, D.A.; Falcone, J.C.; Saari, J.T.; Fleming, J.T.; Percival, S.S.; Young, S.A.; Pass, J.M.; Miller, F.N.
- Endothelium 2000 v.7 no.2 pp. 83
- rats, etc ; copper; nutrient deficiencies; endothelial cells; calcium; physiological transport; acetylcholine; nitric oxide; biosynthesis; nitric oxide synthase; vasodilation; blood vessels; smooth muscle; Show all 13 Subjects
- ... Dietary copper deficiency significantly attenuates nitric oxide (NO)-mediated vascular smooth muscle relaxation and vasodilation. There is evidence for both increased inactivation of the NO radical by superoxide anion, and oxidative damage to the endothelium where NO is produced. The current study was designed to examine the NO synthetic pathway in the endothelium during copper deficiency. Male we ...