Jump to Main Content
- CHAN, B.G.; WAISS, A.C. JR.; BINDER, R.G.; ELLIGER, C.A.
- Entomologia experimentalis et applicata 1978 v.24 no.3 pp. 294-300
- Helicoverpa zea; Heliothis virescens; Pectinophora gossypiella; aldehydes; allelochemicals; artificial diets; cotton; cyclopropenoid fatty acids; flavonoids; growth retardation; host plants; insects; larvae; larval development; leaves; proanthocyanidins
- ... Four classes of cotton constituents -- condensed tannins, flavonoids, terpene aldehydes and cyclopropenoid fatty acids -- were isolated from leaves and parts of squares and fed to Lepidopterous larvae in an artificial diet. The ED₅₀ required for growth inhibition of Heliothis virescens, H. zea and Pectinophora gossypiella larvae ranged from 0.1 per cent to 0.7 per cent of the weight of the diet. T ...
- T. N. Shaver; R. H. Dilday; J. A. Garcia
- Crop science 1978 v.18 no.1 pp. 55-57
- Gossypium hirsutum; Heliothis virescens; antibiosis; bioassays; cotton; ethyl ether; gossypol; larval development; tobacco
- ... The effect of gossypol on suppressing larval growth of tobacco budworms, Heliothis virescens (F.), was enhanced by diethyl ether extracts of flowerbuds of cotton (Gossypium hirsutum L.). This effect was greater with extracts of glanded than with glandless flowerbuds. The greater increase in larval growth suppression caused by these extracts is sufficient to interfere with the laboratory bioassay f ...
- Tingle, F.C.; Mitchell, E.R.; Baumhover, A.H.
- Journal of chemical ecology 1978 v.4 no.4 pp. 471-479
- Heliothis subflexa; Heliothis virescens; Helicoverpa zea; sex pheromones; sex attractants; trapping; pheromone traps; backcrossing; hybrids; mating behavior; olfactometry; wind tunnels; nocturnal activity
- ... Electric grid traps baited with Heliothis subflexa (Guenée), H. virescens (F.), or H. zea (Boddie) females captured conspecific males with few exceptions.Heliothis subflexa females reduced the attraction ofH. virescens and H. zea males when used as bait simultaneously with females of either of these two species. Backcrosses were made with H. virescens males and female hybrids from a cross between ...