Jump to Main Content
- A. Franzblau; A.H. Demond; S.K. Sayler; H. D'Arcy; R.L. Neitzel
- Science of the total environment 2020 v.714 pp. 136580
- asbestos; insulating materials; residential housing; vermiculite
- ... The efforts of many municipalities to demolish abandoned residential dwellings (ARDs) are hampered by the presence of asbestos-containing materials (ACMs) in these structures. However, the extent of such materials is unknown. Our study sought to characterize ACMs present in ARDs demolished in Detroit.Working with the City of Detroit, we obtained information on all ARDs demolished from 2014 to 2017 ...
- PubMed Central:
- Anita Staroń; Magda Kijania-Kontak; Aleksander Kozak; Marcin Banach
- Waste management 2020 v.105 pp. 180-189
- asbestos; catalytic activity; construction materials; cooking; cooking fats and oils; dust; hardness; heat; insulating materials; kitchen waste; leaching; polymers; respiratory system; strength (mechanics); sulfuric acid; waste management; weathering
- ... In the second half of the 20th century, asbestos extraction was up to 4 Mt/year. Due to its high strength and insulation properties, this mineral was used as an additive in building materials. Over time these materials were destroyed by the process of weathering and leaching. Asbestos fibers in dust form penetrate the respiratory system causing diseases. This article proposes the binding of hazard ...