Jump to Main Content
- A. Franzblau; A.H. Demond; S.K. Sayler; H. D'Arcy; R.L. Neitzel
- Science of the total environment 2020 v.714 pp. 136580
- asbestos; insulating materials; residential housing; vermiculite
- ... The efforts of many municipalities to demolish abandoned residential dwellings (ARDs) are hampered by the presence of asbestos-containing materials (ACMs) in these structures. However, the extent of such materials is unknown. Our study sought to characterize ACMs present in ARDs demolished in Detroit.Working with the City of Detroit, we obtained information on all ARDs demolished from 2014 to 2017 ...
- PubMed Central:
- Richard L. Neitzel; Stephanie K. Sayler; Avery H. Demond; Hannah d'Arcy; David H. Garabrant; Alfred Franzblau
- Science of the total environment 2020 v.722 pp. 137891
- air sampling; asbestos; cities; detection limit; emissions; lung neoplasms; mesothelioma; residential housing; risk estimate; transmission electron microscopy
- ... Many cities are revitalizing their urban cores through the demolition of abandoned residential dwellings (ARDs). However, data regarding the emissions of asbestos during such an operation are sparse. We measured airborne asbestos emissions from emergency demolitions (demolitions on structures deemed too dangerous to enter and remove asbestos) of ARDs in Detroit.High-flow air sampling was conducted ...