Jump to Main Content
- Frauke Fedderwitz; Niklas Björklund; Velemir Ninkovic; Göran Nordlander
- Physiological entomology 2014 v.39 no.2 pp. 103-110
- Hylobius abietis; Picea abies; adults; egg production; females; forest regeneration; girdling; locomotion; males; plant response; seedlings; Europe
- ... The pine weevil [Hylobius abietis (L.); Coleoptera: Curculionidae] has a high economic impact on forest regeneration in Europe. The general biology of the pine weevil has received considerable attention, although there is insufficient knowledge about its diel behaviour and time budget. Therefore, in the present study, the feeding and locomotion behaviour of individual adult weevils on Norway spruc ...
- B. Pastor; A.S. Martínez-Sánchez; G.A. Ståhls; S. Rojo
- Bulletin of entomological research 2014 v.104 no.4 pp. 486-493
- Musca domestica; adults; animal wastes; cytochrome-c oxidase; egg production; eggs; females; genetic analysis; genetic variation; haplotypes; insects; males; mass rearing; mitochondrial DNA; morphometry; Central European region; Europe; South America
- ... Understanding the biology of the housefly (Musca domestica L.) is crucial for the development of mass-rearing protocols in order to use this insect as a degradation agent for livestock waste. In this study, the biological and genetic differences between different laboratory strains of M. domestica were analysed. Additionally, hybrids were obtained by mixing the strains and their biological paramet ...