Jump to Main Content
- Frauke Fedderwitz; Niklas Björklund; Velemir Ninkovic; Göran Nordlander
- Physiological entomology 2014 v.39 no.2 pp. 103-110
- Hylobius abietis; Picea abies; adults; egg production; females; forest regeneration; girdling; locomotion; males; plant response; seedlings; Europe
- ... The pine weevil [Hylobius abietis (L.); Coleoptera: Curculionidae] has a high economic impact on forest regeneration in Europe. The general biology of the pine weevil has received considerable attention, although there is insufficient knowledge about its diel behaviour and time budget. Therefore, in the present study, the feeding and locomotion behaviour of individual adult weevils on Norway spruc ...
- Rafael Zas; Niklas Björklund; Göran Nordlander; César Cendán; Claes Hellqvist; Luis Sampedro
- Forest ecology and management 2014 v.313 pp. 212-223
- seedling growth; Palearctic region; seedlings; economic costs; trees; environmental hazards; field experimentation; dose response; Picea abies; planting; conifers; Pinus pinaster; agroecosystems; herbivores; elicitors; methyl jasmonate; Pinus sylvestris; chemical defenses; growth retardation; mortality; plant hormones; Hylobius abietis; environmental factors; forest plantations; bark; forest pests; Sweden; Spain
- ... Herbivore damage commonly initiates an increased synthesis of chemical defensive compounds in attacked plants. Such induced defences are a vital part of plant defence systems, but when herbivore pressure is high, as frequently occurs in man-made ecosystems such as agricultural and forest plantations, plants may suffer considerable damage before adequate induced defences build up. To prepare the pl ...