Jump to Main Content
- Jackson D. Michael; Harrison Howard F.
- Journal of economic entomology 2013 v.106 no.3 pp. 1456-1462
- Agricultural Research Service; Chaetocnema confinis; Cylas formicarius elegantulus; Diabrotica; Elateridae; Phyllophaga; Systena; beetle infestations; breeding programs; cultivars; field experimentation; genotype; germplasm; insect larvae; insect pests; insect resistance; roots; soil insects; sweet potatoes; South Carolina
- ... Fifty-nine sweetpotato cultivars, including 16 heirlooms, 11 near-heirlooms (developed in the 1960s and 1970s), 19 cultivars from the 1980s, and 13 modern varieties (since 1990), were evaluated for resistance to soil insects in field experiments during 2010–2011 at the U.S. Department of Agriculture-Agriculture Research Service, U.S. Vegetable Laboratory (USDA-ARS, USVL), Charleston, SC. These exp ...
- Ghislain, M.; Tovar, J.; Prentice, K.; Ormachea, M.; Manrique, S.; Kreuze, J.; Rukarwa, R.; Sefasi, A.; Mukasa, S.; Ssemakula, G.; Wamalwa, L.; Machuka, J.
- Acta horticulturae 2013 no.974 pp. 91-98
- Agrobacterium radiobacter; Bacillus thuringiensis; Curculionidae; Cylas formicarius elegantulus; bioassays; biotechnology; breeding; control methods; crop losses; cultivars; field experimentation; food security; gene expression; genes; genetic engineering; income; integrated pest management; larvae; lethal concentration 50; pests; petioles; protein content; regulatory sequences; reverse transcriptase polymerase chain reaction; roots; screening; somatic embryos; sporamin; sweet potatoes; toxicity; Sub-Saharan Africa
- ... African sweetpotato weevils (SPW), Cylas puncticollis and C. brunneus, pose a major threat to sweetpotato, which plays a vital role in food security and income generation for both the urban and rural poor in Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA). SPW can limit sweetpotato production causing total crop loss. Control methods such as integrated pest management and breeding have not succeeded satisfactorily in cur ...