Jump to Main Content
- Bido, Adriane F.; Urbinati, Elisabeth C.; Makrakis, Maristela C.; Celestino, Leandro F.; Serra, Mônica; Makrakis, Sergio
- Marine & freshwater research 2018 v.69 no.12 pp. 1814-1821
- Prochilodus lineatus; adults; body weight; cortisol; dams (hydrology); females; fish; fish ladders; glucose; hematocrit; lactic acid; males; migratory behavior; rivers; Brazil
- ... This study investigated whether fish ladder transposition is a stressful event for the streaked prochilod, Prochilodus lineatus, in a dam on the Upper Paraná River, Brazil. Bodyweight, standard length and plasma concentrations of cortisol, glucose, lactate, chloride and haematocrit were measured in 48 adult fish (male and female) that were sampled downstream and upstream of the dam and on the fish ...
- Amaral, Stephen V.; Coleman, Benjamin S.; Rackovan, Jenna L.; Withers, Kelly; Mater, Benjamin
- Marine & freshwater research 2018 v.69 no.12 pp. 1870-1881
- dams (hydrology); fish; fish communities; fluid mechanics; habitats; migratory behavior; probability; spillways; survival rate; water power; Mississippi River; United States
- ... Hydropower dams can negatively affect upstream and downstream migratory fish populations in many ways, such as blocking access to upstream habitats and causing injuries or mortality during downstream passage. For downstream passage at projects in the USA, federal regulators and agencies responsible for oversight of hydropower facilities typically require assessment studies and mitigation to addres ...