Jump to Main Content
- Lanoue, Vanessa; Cooper, Helen M.
- Developmental biology 2019 v.451 no.1 pp. 16-24
- axons; dendrites; evolution; geometry; microfilaments; receptors; synapse
- ... A neuron's contribution to the information flow within a neural circuit is governed by the structure of its dendritic arbor. The geometry of the dendritic arbor directly determines synaptic density and the size of the receptive field, both of which influence the firing pattern of the neuron. Importantly, the position of individual dendritic branches determines the identity of the neuron's presynap ...
- Sundararajan, Lakshmi; Stern, Jamie; Miller, David M.
- Developmental biology 2019 v.451 no.1 pp. 53-67
- axons; dendrites; genetic analysis; image analysis; morphogenesis; sensory neurons
- ... The shape of an individual neuron is linked to its function with axons sending signals to other cells and dendrites receiving them. Although much is known of the mechanisms for axonal outgrowth, the striking complexity of dendritic architecture has hindered efforts to uncover pathways that direct dendritic branching. Here we review the results of an experimental strategy that exploits the power of ...