Jump to Main Content
- L. A. Ochieng
- Journal of horticultural science & biotechnology 2020 v.95 no.2 pp. 192-202
- Curculionidae; Cylas formicarius elegantulus; breeding programs; genotype; insect resistance; larvae; parents; pests; starch; sucrose; sweet potatoes; Sub-Saharan Africa
- ... Sweet potato weevil (Cylas punticollis Boheman) is a serious pest throughout sub-Saharan Africa. A study to evaluate 51 sweet potato genotypes for their tolerance to the weevil was conducted in a controlled experiment of no-choice arena. Genotype Tainung was the most susceptible to C. puncticollis. Genotypes Obugi and 5 Nyandere were the most tolerant to C. puncticollis. Many of the genotypes that ...
- Jackson D. Michael; Harrison Howard F.
- Journal of economic entomology 2013 v.106 no.3 pp. 1456-1462
- Agricultural Research Service; Chaetocnema confinis; Cylas formicarius elegantulus; Diabrotica; Elateridae; Phyllophaga; Systena; beetle infestations; breeding programs; cultivars; field experimentation; genotype; germplasm; insect larvae; insect pests; insect resistance; roots; soil insects; sweet potatoes; South Carolina
- ... Fifty-nine sweetpotato cultivars, including 16 heirlooms, 11 near-heirlooms (developed in the 1960s and 1970s), 19 cultivars from the 1980s, and 13 modern varieties (since 1990), were evaluated for resistance to soil insects in field experiments during 2010–2011 at the U.S. Department of Agriculture-Agriculture Research Service, U.S. Vegetable Laboratory (USDA-ARS, USVL), Charleston, SC. These exp ...