Jump to Main Content
- Johnson, Mari-Vaughn V.; Kiniry, James R.; Sanchez, Homer; Polley, H. Wayne; Fay, Philip A.
- BioEnergy research 2010 v.3 no.4 pp. 353-361
- biomass; yields; primary productivity; plant communities; indigenous species; continuous cropping; biofuels; Panicum virgatum; alfalfa; grasses; Medicago sativa; Cynodon dactylon; Cenchrus ciliaris; low input agriculture; Nebraska; Kansas; Texas
- ... Biofuel cropping expansion is increasing pressure on food, grazing, and conservation lands. Debate over the efficacy of converting diverse native plant communities to managed monocultures prompted us to explore the extensive crop and ecological site productivity databases maintained by US Department of Agriculture-Natural Resources Conservation Service. We compared annual net primary productivity ...
- Justin P. Wied; Humberto L. Perotto-Baldivieso; April A. T. Conkey; Leonard A. Brennan; José M. Mata
- Invasive plant science and management 2020 v.13 no.2 pp. 41-58
- Bothriochloa ischaemum; Cenchrus ciliaris; Cynodon dactylon; Dichanthium annulatum; Dichanthium aristatum; Eragrostis lehmanniana; Heteropogon contortus; Megathyrsus maximus; Urochloa; administrative management; botanical composition; forage production; grasses; growth habit; habitats; indigenous species; introduced species; invasive species; landscapes; natural history; pastures; rangelands; remote sensing; savannas; vegetation structure; wildlife; Texas
- ... South Texas is home to a high diversity of species due to its location at the confluence of subtropical, desert, and coastal ecoregions. Historical overgrazing of South Texas rangelands transformed the savanna and prairie to a landscape dominated by woody plants and shrubs interspersed with low seral grass species and bare ground. During the first half of the 20th century, exotic grass species, co ...
- A. R. Overman; M. A. Sanderson; R. M. Jones
- Agronomy journal 1993 v.85 no.3 pp. 541-545
- interspecific variation; cultivars; mathematical models; forage crops; Panicum coloratum; application rate; soil water content; Cynodon dactylon; arid zones; dry matter accumulation; crop yield; rain; growth models; Eragrostis curvula; Cenchrus ciliaris; nitrogen fertilizers; Texas
- ... Models provide a quantitative means to evaluate yield response of forage grasses to applied N and water availability. The objective of this analysis was to estimate model parameters (A, b, c) for bermu. dagrasses and bunchgrasses grown at the same location and during the same time period. The logistic equation was used to relate annual dry matter production to applied N for three bermudagrasses [C ...