Jump to Main Content
- Wei-Yun Qin; Li-Na Gan; Ri-Wei Xia; Shou-Yong Sun; Guo-Qiang Zhu; Sheng-Long Wu; Wen-Bin Bao
- Gene 2017 v.616 pp. 45-51
- antiseptics; neutralization; proteins; translation (genetics); leucine; evolution; codons; endotoxins
- ... Bactericidal/permeability-increasing (BPI) protein is a member of a new generation of proteins known as super-antibiotics that are implicated as endotoxin neutralising agents. Non-uniform usage of synonymous codons for a specific amino acid during translation of a protein is known as codon usage bias (CUB). Analysis of CUB and compositional dynamics of coding sequences could contribute to a better ...
- Alexsandro Santana Vieira; Maria Izabel Camargo-Mathias; Flavio Roces
- Arthropod structure & development 2015 v.44 no.5 pp. 444-454
- Atta sexdens rubropilosa; antibiotics; antiseptics; evolution; fungus gardens; leaf-cutting ants; microorganisms; nesting; organic matter; organic soils; pathogens; queen insects; risk; soil depth; soil horizons
- ... Queens of leaf-cutting ants found their nests singly, each consisting of a vertical tunnel and a final horizontal chamber. Because of the claustral mode of nest founding, the queen and/or her initial fungus garden are exposed to threats imposed by several soil pathogens, and the antibiotic secretions produced by their metapleural glands are considered a main adaptation to deal with them. Nests of ...