Jump to Main Content
- Saldana, Tina M.; Basso, Olga; Hoppin, Jane A.; Baird, Donna D.; Knott, Charles; Blair, Aaron; Alavanja, Michael C.R.; Sandler, Dale P.
- Diabetes care 2007 v.30 no.3 pp. 529-534
- 2,4,5-T; application equipment; atrazine; butylate; carbofuran; diazinon; gestational diabetes; home gardens; mixing; odds ratio; pesticide application; phorate; pregnancy; risk; women
- ... OBJECTIVE:--To examine the association between pesticide use during pregnancy and gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM) among wives of licensed pesticide applicators. RESEARCH DESIGN AND METHODS--Using data from the Agricultural Health Study (AHS), we estimated the association between self-reported pesticide-related activities during the first trimester of the most recent pregnancy and GDM among 11, ...
- PubMed Central:
- Novak, J.M.; Watts, D.W.; Stone, K.C.; Johnson, M.H.
- Transactions of the ASAE 2001 v.44 no.5 pp. 1201-1206
- water pollution; atrazine; cyanazine; agricultural land; herbicide residues; watersheds; losses from soil; streams; seasonal variation; metolachlor; alachlor; ametryn; coastal plains; North Carolina
- ... Herbicide detection in surface water sources has caused concern about contamination of these sources and adverse effects on human and aquatic health. Understanding surface water herbicide transport from agriculturally intensive watersheds is useful for development of herbicide best management practices to reduce off-site movement. The seasonal occurrence and load of five herbicides exported by a s ...
- Cook, M.G.; Hunt, P.G.; Stone, K.C.; Canterberry, J.H.
- Water science and technology : a journal of the International Association on Water Pollution Research 1996 v.33 no.4-5 pp. 191-196
- atrazine; nutrients; alachlor; ammonium nitrogen; agricultural watersheds; pollution control; animal manure management; nitrate nitrogen; metolachlor; point source pollution; case studies; water quality; groundwater contamination; best management practices; pest control; nonpoint source pollution; constructed wetlands; mortality; poultry; soil conservation; fertilizers; streams; cost effectiveness; composting; environmental monitoring; North Carolina
- ... A system of agricultural best management practices (BMPs) was implemented on a 2,100 ha watershed in Duplin County, North Carolina, USA, for the purpose of improving water quality. The BMPs included: Nutrient, pest, and animal waste management; and soil conservation practices. Both surface and ground water were continually analyzed to assess the water quality impacts. Nutrient management plans hav ...