Jump to Main Content
- Frauke Fedderwitz; Niklas Björklund; Velemir Ninkovic; Göran Nordlander
- Physiological entomology 2014 v.39 no.2 pp. 103-110
- Hylobius abietis; Picea abies; adults; egg production; females; forest regeneration; girdling; locomotion; males; plant response; seedlings; Europe
- ... The pine weevil [Hylobius abietis (L.); Coleoptera: Curculionidae] has a high economic impact on forest regeneration in Europe. The general biology of the pine weevil has received considerable attention, although there is insufficient knowledge about its diel behaviour and time budget. Therefore, in the present study, the feeding and locomotion behaviour of individual adult weevils on Norway spruc ...
- Tan, Janine Y.; Wainhouse, David; Morgan, Geoffrey; Day, Keith R.
- Agricultural and forest entomology 2011 v.13 no.2 pp. 149-156
- Hylobius abietis; Pinus; autumn; canopy; egg production; eggs; flight; forests; muscle development; muscles; oviposition; oviposition sites; spring; trapping; trees; walking; wings
- ... 1 The development of reproductive and flight capacity of pine weevils Hylobius abietis during the spring and their dispersal to, and subsequent development at, new clearfell oviposition sites comprise key phases in their life cycle in managed forests. At an old clearfell site where autumn-emerging weevils had overwintered, weevils were trapped as they re-emerged in the spring and tested for their ...