Jump to Main Content
- Chibo Chikwililwa; Pearse McCarron; Joanna J. Waniek; Detlef E. Schulz-Bull
- Harmful algae 2019 v.85 pp. 101626
- Gonyaulax; algal blooms; coasts; euphotic zone; hydroxylation; liquid chromatography; mass spectrometry; molecular genetics; oceans; phylogeny; phytoplankton; poisonous algae; primary productivity; toxicity; yessotoxin; Italy; Namibia; New Zealand
- ... The Benguela Current in the Atlantic is one of the four major upwelling systems on the Eastern boundary of the world ocean. Thus the coastal regions off Namibia are prone to high primary productivity that can lead to Harmful Algae Blooms as this nutrient rich water reaches the euphotic zone. Yessotoxins (YTXs) produced by G. spinifera were detected in Namibian phytoplankton field samples in 2011. ...
- Isabelle Rajotte; Cheryl Rafuse; Elliott J. Wright; John C. Achenbach; Lee D. Ellis; Pearse McCarron
- Journal of natural products 2019 v.82 no.7 pp. 1945-1952
- Danio rerio; Gonyaulax; biomass; hydroxylation; liquid chromatography; mass spectrometry; nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy; solvents; toxicity; yessotoxin
- ... Liquid chromatography–high-resolution mass spectrometry (LC-HRMS) analysis of a Namibian strain of Gonyaulax spinifera showed the presence of a number of yessotoxins (YTXs). Principal among these were YTX (1), homoYTX (2), and a tentative hydroxylated analogue that did not correspond to any previously confirmed YTX structures. Culturing the G. spinifera strain afforded sufficient biomass for purif ...