Jump to Main Content
- Castro-Vazquez, Alfredo, et al. Show all 18 Authors
- Comparative biochemistry and physiology 2019 v.234 pp. 36-49
- Annelida; Arthropoda; Chordata; Cnidaria; Echinodermata; Mollusca; Nematoda; Tardigrada; animals; antioxidant activity; death; ecophysiology; environmental factors; freezing; metabolism; oxidative stress; salinity
- ... Freezing, dehydration, salinity variations, hypoxia or anoxia are some of the environmental constraints that many organisms must frequently endure. Organisms adapted to these stressors often reduce their metabolic rates to maximize their chances of survival. However, upon recovery of environmental conditions and basal metabolic rates, cells are affected by an oxidative burst that, if uncontrolled, ...
- Castro-Vazquez, Alfredo, et al. Show all 4 Authors
- Invertebrate biology 2009 v.128 no.3 pp. 223-231
- Annelida; Pomacea canaliculata; chromatin; evolution; flagellum; head; snails; spermatozoa; spermiogenesis
- ... Pomacea canaliculata is an internally fertilizing gastropod that produces, besides fertilizing sperm (=eusperm), a large number of unfertile sperm (=parasperm) that have no chromatin, are fusiform, and have three to five flagella. Here, we report that this snail also produces another type of parasperm, which results from a peculiar spermiogenesis including an anterior cytoplasmic migration. The ma ...