Jump to Main Content
- Robinson, Ayla; Inouye, David W.; Ogilvie, Jane E.; Mooney, Emily H.
- Oecologia 2017 v.185 no.2 pp. 181-190
- Aphis (Aphididae), etc ; Formicidae; Ligusticum porteri; Lygus; climate; climate change; flowering; food webs; host plants; mutualism; observational studies; phenology; phytophagous insects; population density; population growth; population size; predators; prediction; snowmelt; temperature; Show all 20 Subjects
- ... Climate change can influence the abundance of insect herbivores through direct and indirect mechanisms. In this study, we evaluated multitrophic drivers of herbivore abundance for an aphid species (Aphis helianthi) in a subalpine food web consisting of a host plant (Ligusticum porteri), mutualist ants and predatory lygus bugs (Lygus spp.). We used a model-selection approach to determine which clim ...
- Johnson, Marc T. J.
- Ecology 2008 v.89 no.1 pp. 145-154
- Aphis (Aphididae), etc ; plant genetics; phytophagous insects; plant-insect relations; regression analysis; field experimentation; Oenothera biennis; mutualism; genotype; population density; population growth; Crematogaster; predator-prey relationships; Ontario; Show all 14 Subjects
- ... Theory predicts that bottom‐up ecological forces can affect community dynamics, but whether this extends to the effects of heritable plant variation on tritrophic communities is poorly understood. In a field experiment, I contrasted the effects of plant genotype (28 genotypes; 1064 plants), aphid density, and the presence/absence of mutualistic ants in affecting the per capita population growth of ...
- Altfeld, L.; Stiling, P.
- Environmental entomology 2006 v.35 no.1 pp. 31-36
- Aphis (Aphididae), etc ; Liriomyza trifolii; phytophagous insects; predatory insects; Linepithema humile; host plants; Baccharis halimifolia; population density; mutualism; leafminers; population dynamics; Florida; Show all 12 Subjects
- ... The primary objective of this experiment was to assess the impacts of ant tending by the Argentine ant, Linepithema humile, on myrmecophilous and nonmyrmecophilous herbivores of Baccharis halimifolia, through field manipulations of ant attendance levels. High and low levels of ant attendance were established for a 5-mo evaluation of the densities of ant attended aphids, aphid predators, and leaf m ...