Jump to Main Content
- Gurnis, Michael, et al. Show all 7 Authors
- Computers & geosciences 2018 v.116 pp. 32-41
- Cenozoic era; Mesozoic era; computer software; computers; deformation; models; porous media; tectonics; North America; South East Asia
- ... Traditional plate reconstruction methodologies do not allow for plate deformation to be considered. Here we present software to construct and visualize global tectonic reconstructions with deforming plates within the context of rigid plates. Both deforming and rigid plates are defined by continuously evolving polygons. The deforming regions are tessellated with triangular meshes such that either s ...
- Gurnis, Michael, et al. Show all 4 Authors
- Earth-science reviews 2017
- Cenozoic era; Cretaceous period; Jurassic period; computer software; deformation; geophysics; kinematics; models; tectonics; tomography; China
- ... The configuration and kinematics of continental deformation and its marginal plate tectonics on the Earth's surface are intrinsic manifestations of plate-mantle coupling. The complex interactions of plate boundary forces result in plate motions that are dominated by slab pull and ridge push forces and the effects of mantle drag; these interactions also result in continental deformation with a comp ...