Jump to Main Content
- Maxwell, Justin J., et al. Show all 4 Authors
- Journal of biogeography 2017 v.44 no.7 pp. 1481-1490
- DNA; Holocene epoch; Phocarctos hookeri; biogeography; climate change; demography; ecosystems; extinction; fauna; genetic analysis; humans; nucleotide sequences; penguins; New Zealand
- ... AIM: To test for simultaneous Holocene biogeographic turnover events in the New Zealand region. Specifically, we synthesize ancient DNA, radiocarbon data and archaeological data to assess the chronologies of late Holocene lineage extinction and replacement. LOCATION: Cool‐temperate coastal ecosystems of New Zealand and the subantarctic. METHODS: We present new ancient DNA and radiocarbon data for ...
- Maxwell, Justin J., et al. Show all 13 Authors
- Molecular ecology 2016 v.25 no.16 pp. 3950-3961
- DNA; Phocarctos hookeri; anthropogenic activities; biodiversity; bycatch; extinction; fauna; human settlements; islands; mitochondria; models; population dynamics; New Zealand
- ... While terrestrial megafaunal extinctions have been well characterized worldwide, our understanding of declines in marine megafauna remains limited. Here, we use ancient DNA analyses of prehistoric (<1450–1650 AD) sea lion specimens from New Zealand's isolated Chatham Islands to assess the demographic impacts of human settlement. These data suggest there was a large population of sea lions, unique ...