Jump to Main Content
- Méndez, Verónica, et al. Show all 7 Authors
- Agriculture, ecosystems & environment 2019 v.272 pp. 246-253
- agricultural development; agricultural land; altitude; biodiversity; breeding; coasts; fertilizers; habitats; highlands; homogenization; landscapes; meadows; wetlands; Iceland
- ... The capacity of different landscapes to sustain viable populations depends on the spatial and temporal availability of key population-specific resources. Heterogeneous landscapes provide a wider range of resources and often sustain higher levels of biodiversity than homogeneous ones. Across the globe, agricultural expansion has resulted in large-scale homogenisation of landscapes with associated d ...
- Méndez, Verónica, et al. Show all 13 Authors
- Bird study 2018 v.65 no.2 pp. 274-278
- Haematopus; autumn; juveniles; latitude; population size; surveys; temperature; winter; Iceland; Western European region
- ... Capsule: The first ever survey of Oystercatchers wintering in Iceland found around 11 000 individuals. This is an estimated 30% of the Icelandic population, including juveniles, suggesting that approximately 26 000 Icelandic Oystercatchers migrate to western Europe in the autumn. More Oystercatchers winter in Iceland than at similar latitudes elsewhere in Europe, which may reflect the remoteness a ...