Jump to Main Content
- Sally Woodman; Amanda J. Gibson; Ana Rubio García; Guillermo Sanchez Contreras; John W. Rossen; Dirk Werling; Victoria Offord
- Veterinary immunology and immunopathology 2016 v.169 pp. 10-14
- Mirounga; endangered species; methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus; marine mammals; population dynamics; Brucella; risk; Toll-like receptor 6; methicillin; bacterial infections; pathogens; Phoca vitulina; disease outbreaks; mortality; antibiotic resistance; innate immunity; Influenza A virus; environmental health; Phocine morbillivirus; vaccine adjuvants; Toll-like receptor 1
- ... Pinnipeds are a diverse clade of semi-aquatic mammals, which act as key indicators of ecosystem health. Their transition from land to marine environments provides a complex microbial milieu, making them vulnerable to both aquatic and terrestrial pathogens, thereby contributing to pinniped population decline. Indeed, viral pathogens such as influenza A virus and phocine distemper virus (PDV) have b ...
- Ursula Siebert; Marion Rademaker; Sophie A. Ulrich; Peter Wohlsein; Katrin Ronnenberg; Ellen Prenger-Berninghoff
- Journal of wildlife diseases 2017 v.53 no.2 pp. 201-214
- Staphylococcus aureus; die-off; hepatitis; distemper; arthritis; bronchopneumonia; summer; anthropogenic activities; Streptococcus; Clostridium perfringens; lungs; Bordetella bronchiseptica; Brucella; Vibrio; intestines; spleen; lymph nodes; Escherichia coli; humans; septicemia; Erysipelothrix rhusiopathiae; Phoca vitulina; disease outbreaks; kidneys; myositis; seals; gastroenteritis; liver; myocarditis; Influenza A virus; Phocine morbillivirus; nephritis; influenza; bacteria; North Sea; Germany
- ... We present microbiologic findings in harbor seal (phoca; Phoca vitulina) carcasses collected from the North Sea of Schleswig-Holstein, Germany, 1996–2014, and interpret results in relation to potential variations caused by phocine distemper virus and influenza A virus mass mortalities. We conducted microbiologic investigations on 2,124 tissue samples from lung, liver, kidney, spleen, intestine, an ...